Chickpea curry masala (Tikki masala)
This chickpea curry masala is a plant-based version of Tikki Masala and needs 8 vegan ingredients for a low calorie, gluten-free dinner in 30 minutes.
- Author: Denise
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Main Courses
- Cuisine: Indian
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 Tbsp. minced or grated fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 Tbsp. garam masala (see notes to make your own blend)
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 15-oz. (400 gm.) can tomatoes (in juice)
- 1 cup coconut milk (regular or lite)
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (2 - 15 oz. or 400 gm. cans, rinsed and drained)
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
- Make a tomato puree by placing the tomatoes into a blender or food processor and blending smooth. Alternatively, you can use your immersion blender right in the can.
- Heat a medium pan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute for about 5 minutes until they start to soften. Add water, a tablespoon at-a-time if they start to stick.
- Add the ginger, garlic, 1 Tbsp. garam masala and ½ tsp. cayenne pepper. Stir for 30 seconds to combine.
- Add the tomatoes and coconut milk and bring the pot to simmer. Mix everything well and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and heat through.
- Serve with cooked rice and chopped cilantro for a garnish.
- Nutritional information does not include rice.
- To make your own garam masala, combine 1 1/2 tsp. ground coriander, 3/4 tsp. ground cumin, 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric, 1/8 tsp. ground cardamom, 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper, 1/8 tsp. ground cloves and 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon.
Keywords: chickpea curry masala