bulgur wheat salad - taco style!
Dig into layers of flavorful bulgur taco meat and all the taco fixings you can handle for a supreme vegan taco salad.
- Author: Denise
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Hearty Salads
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Vegan
Bulgur taco meat
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-2 fresh jalapenos, diced (remove the seeds if you want to make it less spicy)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (adjust depending on how hot you want it)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon date paste or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
The salad fixings
- 1 - 15 ounce (400 gram) can of black beans, drained (substitute any beans you like)
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1 avocado, diced
- Tortilla chips - they are nice to crush over individual servings
The dressing options
- Prepare the lettuce, tomatoes, black olives, avocado, any other toppings, and the salad dressing before starting the bulgur.
- To make the chipotle dressing, combine all the ingredients. For more information, please refer to this link.
- To make the taco meat, heat a large skillet or heavy-bottomed pan to medium.
- Add the onions and jalapenos and saute them for 5 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Next, mix in the garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, date paste, and vegetable broth. Mix everything well.
- Mix in the bulgur and bring the pot to a low simmer. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the bulgur is tender.
- To assemble the salad, layer half the shredded lettuce, followed by the bulgur. Then add the black beans, the remaining lettuce, the tomatoes, black olives, and any other toppings.
- Serve with the dressing at the table, along with the tortilla chips.
- Nutritional information includes the bulgur wheat taco meat, black beans, lettuce, tomatoes, black olives, avocado, and 6 corn tortillas for chips.
- If you plan to have leftovers, keep the salad 'stuff' (lettuce, tomatoes, black olives) in one container and the bulgur and beans in another for separate reheating.
- To keep your cut avocado fresh and happy, squeeze lemon or lime juice over the top, and give the cubes a toss. Cover tightly and store it in the refrigerator.
- I’ve not reheated the salad leftovers in their entirety. I have allowed it to heat to room temperature and eaten it as a cool salad. Delicious!
Keywords: vegan taco salad, bulgur taco meat,