Spice up your life with fiery 5- ingredient homemade vegan Sriracha BBQ Sauce! You’ll want to slather this spicy, smokey, and sweet sauce on everything – and you can, it’s oil-free, fat-free, and takes minutes to make.
- Quick & easy – It takes less than 5 minutes to make this sauce. It can be made ahead and stored in the fridge for several weeks.
- Homemade – When you DIY, you get total control over the ingredients. This means no added oil and customizing the flavors to individual palates.
- Healthy vegan – All the ingredients in this recipe are vegan with an eye on health. Yes, something this easy is fat-free!
Liquid smoke – You can’t actually capture smoke in a bottle, but liquid smoke most certainly captures the flavor of wood smoke. A little goes a long way too, so if you invest in a bottle, you’ll have it around for a long time.
Be sure to shake the bottle of liquid smoke before using it. I’ve found that it separates after sitting.
Tomato paste – Tomato paste (tomato puree) gives the sauce full-body, full-on sweet tomato flavor.
Soy sauce or Tamari – The umami flavor of soy sauce is our go-to over salt. Personally, I prefer dark soy or Tamari because it has a deeper flavor. If you use lite soy sauce, then just taste and adjust if you need to add more.
Maple syrup – It isn’t barbecue sauce without something sweet. Although you can use the same amount of date paste, the flavor of maple syrup is our recommendation. You can also use molasses or even brown sugar if you need a substitution.
Sriracha – Bold, spicy, garlicky sriracha is the condiment beloved by the world. If sriracha chili sauce isn’t in your fridge or pantry, it should be. We use it for everything from salad dressing to spicing up tofu sausage crumbles and everything in between.
Sriracha is so popular that you can now find multiple brands with different recipes such as extra hot, double garlic, etc. Bear these differences in mind when you buy it (check that there's no added oil) and when you use it.
tips for making this recipe
- This is a simple mix everything together kind of recipe. Add all the ingredients to a bowl, grab a whisk, and blend until smooth.
- The trick is getting the flavor balance you want. This requires a process of tasting, adding, blending, then tasting again. We’ve given you the recipe we love, but depending on what you’re using it for, you may want it hotter (more sriracha, please), sweeter, or saltier.
- Chances are, you know the spicy level of your sriracha, but it's a good practice to dab a little on your finger and taste it before adding it. This helps you to better judge the amounts. And you can always add more. It's challenging to dial it back once it's in the sauce.
- As far as the texture, we like our sauce on the thicker side. If you want your sauce thicker, consider adding a touch more tomato paste. You can also substitute some of the maple syrup with date paste or brown rice syrup. Thinning is simpler because you can just add a touch of water.
Sriracha BBQ sauce can be served with numerous foods. Whole food, plant-based ideas with sriracha BBQ sauce include baked tofu, chickpeas, and roasted veggies. When blended with cashews or vegan sour cream, it also makes a delicious potato topper or sauce for wraps.
Nearly all sriracha chili sauce brands are vegan. They generally contain mixtures of chili, sugar salt, garlic, vinegar, and other vegan ingredients. Some brands use 'natural' or organic ingredients, and most that we've checked out don't contain added oil.
Liquid smoke can be found in most larger supermarkets. If you need a substitute, smoked paprika or chipotle powder will give foods a smokey flavor. Consider the extra spice and flavor of paprika or chipotle chilis if you use them. They will add a different flavor than liquid smoke.
homemade sriracha BBQ sauce
Our homemade sriracha BBQ sauce recipe needs just 5 ingredients, can be made in minutes, and is healthfully vegan, with no added oil.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: condiments
- Method: blending
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 2-3 teaspoons sriracha chili sauce
- Combine and blend. Add all the ingredients to a small bowl. Use a whisk or spoon to mix the ingredients until they are smooth and well-combined.
- Taste and adjust. Taste the sauce and adjust the spiciness, sweetness, or saltiness. If you find the sauce is too thick, add a few drops of water.
- Liquid smoke is widely available; however, you could use smoked paprika or chipotle powder as a substitute. This can change the taste and add more spiciness, so you may want to experiment if you go in this direction.
- Be sure to shake the liquid smoke before using it. It tends to separate after sitting.
- Sriracha brands come in a variety of flavors and spicinesses. We made this recipe with the original, hot Go-Tan.
Keywords: sriracha, vegan BBQ sauce, fat-free, homemade BBQ sauce
Leave a Reply