Fire it up with a spicy homemade vegan sriracha mayo recipe brimming with creamy, healthy decadence transforming your favorites into zesty bites of delight.
Spicy sriracha mayo is just what it sounds like – a spicy mayo recipe in which sriracha chili sauce is mixed with mayo. Simple ingredients. Simple concept.
Have you been looking for a healthy vegan mayo and/or one with sriracha? If you've aimlessly scanned shelves of the grocery stores, you’ve probably realized that simplicity lies in the homemade kind.
Here’s why this recipe meets the mark:
Healthy vegan – You'll know everything about the nutritional information when you make it yourself. If you opt for prepared vegan mayo, then consider the ingredients. We don't add olive oil, rapeseed oil, or any other in our vegan mayo. That’s one reason why it’s our go-to.
Flavor control – One reason to love homemade is that you can adjust the flavor to suit your taste. You control the spice level by adjusting the amount of sriracha sauce. We’ve also made salt optional and something to add at the end of blending.
Easy recipe – This recipe is suitable for beginners and seasoned pros alike. It takes minutes to make and will please the pickiest plant-based eaters and non-vegan alike.
Raw cashews – Use raw, not roasted cashews. Raw cashews have only a slight nut flavor make creamy cashew blends for sour cream and sauces. Buy in bulk if you can. It’s cheaper, and you’ll always use them.
Sriracha – Sriracha sauce is a distinctive hot chili sauce. It's a type of hot sauce that is different from thin, traditional Mexican kinds. Although both use chili peppers, in general, they aren't substituted for one another.
White balsamic vinegar –White balsamic is gives this spicy vegan mayo a mild sweet flavor. It has a different flavor than traditional balsamic. If you need a substitute, use half the amount of rice vinegar, white wine vinegar, or white grape vinegar.
Dijon mustard – Dijon mustard has its own brand of spicy flavor. It's a key ingredient in mayo. It also contains salt. This is one reason added salt is optional. Use regular mustard as a substitute if you need to.
- Even if you have a high-speed blender, I recommend that you soak the cashews in boiling water. Even 10 - 15 minutes of prep time helps to create a creamy sauce..
- Add water a little at a time. Give the ingredients a preliminary blend before you begin. This helps to break down the cashews.
- Cashew-based sauces can thicken after sitting. Thin it out with a few drops of lemon juice or water before serving if needed.
Many brands of sriracha are vegan; however, you should always consult the ingredients on the label to ensure that all the ingredients are vegan. Traditional ingredients such as red chillies, vinegar, garlic, and even xanthan gum are vegan.
Sriracha mayo is ideal for dipping French fries, sweet potato fries, burgers, hot dogs (or carrot dogs), as a buddha bowl dressing, or with your favorite appetizers. Personally, we love it with plant-based bacon sandwiches. That's our favorite.
Store sriracha mayo in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last for at least a week, but we’ve kept it for a month, and it was still good. Give it a stir before serving. And add a few drops of lemon juice or water to thin it out if needed.
Spicy Homemade Vegan Sriracha Mayo
Fire it up with a spicy homemade vegan sriracha mayo recipe brimming with creamy, healthy decadence with every zesty bite of delight.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Condiments
- Method: Blend
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 - 3 tablespoons sriracha chili sauce
- ¼ - ¾ cup of water
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- Soak the cashews. Place the cashews in a small bowl. Cover the cashews with boiling water and let them soak for at least 15 minutes. You may need more time if you don't have a high-speed blender.
- Blend the ingredients. Drain and rinse the cashews, then add them to a blender. Add the lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, balsamic vinegar, and 1 tablespoon of sriracha. Blend to mix the ingredients.
- Add water. Add ¼ a cup of water, then blend again. Continue adding water, a little at a time, until you have a consistency that you like. and the mayo is smooth.
- Adjust the flavor. Add more sriracha and ¼ teaspoon salt, depending on your taste preferences. Add more lemon juice or even lime juice if you like a tangy flavor with your spice. Blend and taste after every ingredient addition.
- Store sriracha mayo in an airtight container in the refrigerator for at least a week. We've had it after several weeks. With a few drops of lemon juice, it was still delicious.
- Most brands of sriracha are vegan; however, be sure to check the label for your brand.
Keywords: homemade vegan sriracha mayo recipe, cashews, chili mayo, sriracha mayo dip